12/20/2008 Community Gumbo
Listen | Democracy Now (12/15/08)
Listen | Democracy Now (12/16/08)
- Arundhati Roy: 9 Is Not 11 (And November Isn’t September)
- Filmmaker Ron Howard on His New Film “Frost/Nixon”
Listen | Latin American Relations and Barack Obama
- President-Elect Barack Obama Names Environmental Team as Climate Change Conference Wraps Up in Poland
- Farmers and Food Advocates Urge Obama to Create a National Sustainable Food and Agricultural Policy
Perceptions in Latin America toward Barack Obama are examined in this story produced by Rachel Wenzel, with support from the Stone Center for Latin American Studies and the Council on Foreign Relations. Music Played
Papa Don Vappie's New Orleans Jazz Band, "Please Come Home for Christmas"
Susan Cowsill, "Crescent City Snow"
Dirk Keysser, "Winter Wonderland," Happy Clucking Holidays
12/13/2008 Community Gumbo
[update in progress]Listen | Democracy Now (12/9/08)
Listen | Crawl for the ClimateListen | The Alliance for Affordable Energy
- The History of the Nobel Prize: A Look at Alfred Nobel, the Man Who Invented Dynamite
- Bush, Rove Tied to Effort to Dismantle Sweden’s Social Welfare Program
- Sweden Ranks Second in the World in Per Capita Weapons Exports
- Blackwater Guards Indicted for Role in Nisoor Square Massacre
- Sweden Opens Doors for Iraqi and Afghan Refugees
Gulf Restoration Network
The Alliance for Affordable Energy
12/06/2008 Community Gumbo
Listen | Democracy Now (12/5/08)
Listen | The Migrant Experience Through Mexico
- CEOs of Big Three Automakers Return to Capitol Hill to Plead for $34B Federal Bailout
- Ralph Nader and Medea Benjamin on Obama’s Cabinet and Grassroots Organizing Under the Next Administration
- 400 Killed in Nigeria in Violent Clashes Over Disputed Election Results
- The Blogging Revolution: A Look at the Repression of Online Journalism Around the World
Seven New Orleanians traveled for three weeks through Mexico this past August to learn about the experience of undocumented migrants. They discovered that the journey is filled with hazards, and that U.S. attitudes and policies toward immigrants might benefit from a more humanitarian effort to understand the issue of immigration.Music Played
Odetta, "The House of the Rising Sun"
The Iguanas, "Por Mi Camino," Mexico and Mariachis, Milan Records.
Tito Larriva & Chingon, "Alacran y Pistolero," Mexico and Mariachis, Milan Records.
11/29/2008 Community Gumbo
Listen | Democracy Now (11/27/08)
- Studs Terkel 1912–2008: A Democracy Now! Special Tribute to the Beloved Oral Historian and Broadcaster
11/22/2008 Community Gumbo
Listen | Democracy Now (11/18/08)
Listen | United for Peace March
- An Hour with Bolivian President Evo Morales: “Neoliberalism Is No Solution for Humankind”
Parents of slain children, and relatives of murder victims, formed a peace march in New Orleans' Central City neighborhood. Producer Kyle Barnet was there to document this important event for peace.